Friday, July 24, 2020

Homegrown peaches

I have this song stuck in my head today - I am not a princess, this aint a fairy tale.. 

But its almost not true. Also fairy tales are mostly sad. Make us want to focus on the outcome rather than the journey. So also misleading. 

But I do love the song. Its catchy and old. Kind of like us lol.

Yesterday the boys found one of my old journals while rummaging around. It was from the third and fourth year of college (they understood nothing and found it rather boring of course). 
Quite frankly, the journal shocked me. First of all, it was meticulous. An entry for every day. I liked that part. But the contents, ohh.. made me cringe !! The "me back then" from my memories isnt so stupid. But it turns out that I was, we all were. I wish I could go back. I would spend some more time actually studying rather than roaming around. 
:)
So I told this to K yesterday. He has no regrets. But he still gets to study, keeps up with the tech. And I have lost touch. Sometimes, I forget I was trained to be an engineer. 

-----------

I remember fragments of a conversation I had with a classmate (yes in MNIT). He was determined to prove that girls shouldnt come to engineering colleges because "they waste a seat". He argued that most of us were not going to be in the mainstream core jobs and so shouldnt bother taking admission in the college. He said a boy could have occupied the seat if I hadnt been there, and he could have had a career. 
I was furious of course. The guy was of course an a******. And wrong.

There werent many girls in our college (about 7%). And on an average, the girls have faired better. Not many are there in the core engineering fields, that much is true. Most of us moved on to other fields. But the engineering degree hasnt been wasted. Education is not about gaining information, no. That is rote learning. True education teaches "how to think". 

And that stays with you forever, and is useful in any field.

-----------

No comments: