I love biases.
Reading about the different behavioral biases and analyzing other peoples' actions trying to rationalize them has been one of my habits. So basically I am guilty of pretending to understand them (biases as well as the people lol). (Spoiler alert: I don't think I really do understand!)
Anyways, so why I was recently reminded of this was because I noticed something in my behavior. I tend to come (and stay!) under the spell of commitment bias, ALL the time.
So what has happened is that I noticed I was not particularly fond of a considerable section of the ongoing (and large) canvas that I am currently working on. I have been aware of my sub-optimal appreciation for this part. But I still kept on tolerating it while working on other sections. But why? I am working with oil, a medium known for its forgiving nature because you can layer it endlessly. So why was I so reluctant to do over that part?
But today, I have painted over that part. And I am quite happy with how it is going.
So, yeah, for once, I am happy to have defeated the goliath that is my commitment bias.

2 comments:
**Bias, thy is loved by everyone!** Observers of art seem to possess more of it than the artists who painstakingly create it.
The AUP appears to reflect surrealistic aquatic flora and fauna. Is the sky the sea, or is the sea suspended in the sky? Thoughts pervade the medium and blossom into little flowers!
the sky is one with the sea. More so because it looks much better this way.
Post a Comment