Hyderabad has the best (the BEST) custard apples I have had. They are big, pulpy (but not mushy) and oh so sweet. Growing up in Ahmedabad, we didn't get many custard apples {but whenever they were available, pa got them because ma likes them :)} I only ever saw the first custard apple (or shareefa as we call it) tree in college. There was one (it was more like a bush than a tree) in girls' hostel. It wasn't very robust so the fruits used to dry up and wither without ripening. I still have a woodified fruit from that tree.
Anyways, so to my delight, shareefas grow abundantly, even in the wild. While trekking nearby, we've grown used to encountering these trees (laden with fruits) growing in the wild, often on large boulders. yeah, so these trees are quite accustomed to the soil and weather of this area.
Which brings me to the original topic. We have a young shareefa tree growing outside my window. And this year the tree has borne fruits :)

No comments:
Post a Comment