Friday, May 18, 2007

Nessun Dorma

I have started the Crossword again.. I mean solving it.
In college i used to get HT and slowly I got addicted to its daily crossword. Not tough like from the Times and not too easy either.... gave me my 1 hour of happiness :)
And now I have started it again.... If you have ever done one you will know the sheer pleasure of solving one. And its not that i dont get help. I have my Advanced learners and of course some very learned friends :)
Yesterday I was stuck on "An aria from Turandot by Puccini".. Now I had never heard Turandot nor read about it anywhere.... My limited GK was a handicap too. Googled today and found this beautiful liberetto called "Nessun Dorma". Apparently it was covered by some very notable tenors, one of them being Luciano Pavarotti himself ! And it was also on the official record of the 1990 Football world cup..
Well, I went through the piece and wow.. its wonderful. I am posting the original piece here..
Tried to translate it using Google Language.and my.. its so soulful.. I can only imagine what a Pavarotti rendition of this would sound like..

Nessun dorma!... Tu pure, o Principessa,
Nella tua fredda stanza
Guardi le stelle
Che tremano d'amore e di speranza.
Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me,
Il nome mio nessun saprà!
Solo quando la luce splenderà,
Sulla tua bocca lo dirò fremente!...
Ed il mio bacio scioglierà il silenzio
Che ti fa mia!...

Il nome suo nessun saprà...
E noi dovremo, ahimè, morir!...

Dilegua, o notte!... Tramontate, stelle!...
All'alba vincerò!...

No comments: